Still that comms guy; still enjoying it

I’ve been working as THAT COMMS GUY for over two years now and am pleased to say that things are working out well. 2018 was a busy year, but also a balanced one, with plenty of time for family, music and other projects.

About 50% of my time last year was spent working for the DVB Project, providing communications support on a mix of operational and strategic tasks. I worked for DVB from 2004 to 2009, so I’ve been going back to the future; and I’m glad to continue this work for the next 12 months. The DVB World 2019 conference in Dublin looks set to be one highlight and there are other exciting developments in the pipeline.

Almost another 40% of my client work is for the European Broadcasting Union, another former employer (and the host of the DVB Project Office, which is handy!). I continue to provide support on events and publications for the Technology & Innovation Department, and also did some report writing for the Media Department, notably in connection with the Digital Transformation Initiative. I particularly enjoy editing the quarterly tech-i magazine and am looking forward to a new podcast-related project in 2019.

How my client work broke down in 2018.

While all this means – and the chart illustrates – that 90% of my income effectively comes from one building in Geneva, DVB and the EBU are two entirely separate organizations, so it’s not as risky as it sounds. And the remaining 10% comes from several other interesting clients: I’ve continued to do some copywriting for Hilti AG, provided web support for Partners for a New Economy, Bright Green Learning and Fondation Segré, and event communications support for SDNsquare. I was also pleased to work with the Sphere organization for a couple of days.

All in all, I couldn’t be happier with how this adventure in freelancing is working out. I’m grateful to all the people I work with for their trust and confidence in me.

I’m hoping that 2019 will bring the same mix of stable, stimulating work from my regular clients along with one or new things to keep me on my toes. Get in touch if you’d like to chat!

Montage of photos showing a mug with the THAT COMMS GUY logo.
Oh, and I also got a new mug in 2018!
0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.